Before the Beginning
The earliest reference for the name Koitiata is in two maps from pre 1909. They were created by T. W. Downes from ‘old Maori sketches’ and show Koitiata Stream. Those maps, and other documents can be accessed below.
Use the OPEN buttons to access the files. A separate viewer window may open; to close the viewer use your browser’s back arrow/command.
Before the Beginning: Pages 4 and 5, from the book, “100 Years At The Beach”.
Map-pre-1909: 1 page. Map of Rangitikei from “Early History of Rangitikei” by T. W. Downes.
Map-pre-1909: 1 page. Map of Lower Whangaehu and Turakina Valleys, from “Early History of Rangitikei” by T. W. Downes.
Map-1914: 1 page. Map of Koitiata Survey District
Map-pre-1915: 1 page. Survey map for seaside resort and recreation reserve.
Map-1916: 1 page. Map of Survey District showing Koitiata Domain & Koitiata Town.
Clippings-1913-1917: 8 pages. Newspaper clippings & documents about the start-up of Koitiata Domain.
Document-1916: 1 page. Official notice for Koitiata Recreation Reserve.
Document-1909: 45 pages. Copy of “Early History of Rangitikei” by T. W. Downes.